Winter time prep with essential oils is just that, preparing ourselves for yet another change of a season, cooler weather and exposure to new germs. I have some tips and recipes to support healthy immune system function during the winter season (or any season for that matter)!
- Get plenty of rest, and try to get as much sunshine as possible. I our bodies are well rested and have sufficient quantities of Vitamin D, we can better protect against environmental and seasonal threats.
- Get a water bottle that you can use with essential oils, like glass or stainless steel. Keep a small bottle of dōTERRA Lemon, Wild Orange, or On Guard (immune protection blend) in your purse or backpack. Add 1-2 drops of oil to you water, and drink it throughout the day to help support healthy immune function.
- Use a diffuser to diffuse essential oils throughout your home or office to purify the air and lift your spirits. Your emotional health plays a role in your physical health!
- (You’ve heard this a million times) Wash hands often, especially before meals or after coming home from public places. If you aren’t able to wash your hands with soap and water, consider carrying a bottle of natural hand cleanser with you. (Recipe below)
So these are pretty basic things, right? Easy!!
*Makes two 4oz bottles or four 2oz bottles.
- 1 cup aloe
- 1 Tablespoon witch hazel
- 30 drops (1/4 tsp) Melaleuca (tea tree) essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- clear oval plastic bottles with disc-top caps
- In a small glass dish, add ingredients, and stir well.
- Using a funnel, pour the hand cleanser mixture into the bottles.
- Shake well before using.
Foaming Hand Wash
We have 4 of these in our home!
- 1/4-1/3 cup unscented liquid Castile soap
- 1 Tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil (optional)
- 10-15 drops essential oil of your choice. I switch it up, my favs are Peppermint and Spearmint. But for immune boosting and germ busting, I suggest Lemon, Wild Orange, or On Guard immune protection blend.
- 8 oz. bottle with foamer pump
Simply mix the Castile soap, fractionated coconut oil and essential oil in the foamer bottle; then fill the remainder of the bottle with water (only fill to about an inch and a half from the top to save room for the foamer pump), and screw the lid on. Use frequently:)
If you do get feeling blah and achy or if a cough settles in, try this:
Breathe Easy Shower Disks
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup water
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Mix the baking soda and water together to form a paste. Add more water, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
- Prepare a muffin tin by adding cupcake liners. If you have a silicone muffin tin, you don’t need the cupcake liners.
- Pour the baking soda mixture into the cupcake liners (about 1/2 full).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or leave on the counter to dry overnight.
- Once baked, allow to cool completely before adding a couple of drops of each of the essential oils on each disk. If you wish, you can add the oils to it right before you shower.
- To use, simply place a disk on the floor of the shower, not directly under the water, and allow the steam to diffuse the oils as you take a shower.
If taking a bath, you can mix these essential oils with 1 cup epsom salts, mix, and sprinkle in bath water.
**One of my favorite things to have on hand if I need respiratory support due to congestion, cough or to open my airway, is the dōTERRA Breathe Vapor Stick. Natural ingredients, non-greasy, light aroma, soothing, and easy to apply. It has the combination of Laurel leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Ravensara, and Cardamon essential oils!
Also available in essential oil form or respiratory drops.
**On Guard immune protection blend also comes in throat drops, beadlets and soft gels for a quick immune boost. On Guard is a combination of Wild Orange, Clove Bud, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary essential oils. Place On Guard essential oil on the spine or bottom of feet before heading out the door or sending kids to school to keep their immunity strong!
I hope this has been helpful! Stay health strong this winter and don’t let those germs get you down!! And remember…..Christmas is only in 46 more days ?
If you have any questions or would like to get a head start on winter with natural solutions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!